Reference diminsoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow

Computer
Mar 1, 2001
US
ok here is what im trying to do
points a,b,c,d,e, & F starting a baseline diminsion from a to b and using the Extension line coming off of as a ref line (actually the word ref is written offset from the extention line) so we'll call that extention line A. so now we diminsion from A to B then when we get to A to C the dim lines are on top of each other and the txt representing the length is actuall between B & C but because of the REF on the ext line A the shop knows that ext line A is the ref line
now has anyone come across a lsp or other routine that does this using associative dims with out a bunch of steps ie having to edit each dim so that the dim lines are ontop of one another

Thanks

if everyone helps everybody the world will be a better place

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understand what you're wanting to do, we've done something like that here.

Just need to go into that dimension style (or create a new one for baseline dims and set it for:

baseline spacing = 0 (lines tab under dimstyles) and on the text tab, set text placement - horizontal = "at ext line 2"

(Those are the settings for 2006, there should be similar settings for other versions.)

Dimensions are associative (assuming that's turned on) and quick to place.

i have a jpg example i drew up in cad but cant figure out how to add it to the post

ok i tried that yea thats pretty close to what i was talking about but now the dimension line 1 is in the way of the text in the previouse dim also i am told to put a "ref" in txt next to the ext line being referenced

Go here to find out how to post pics.
faq238-1161

Per ASME Y14.5-1994, REF is now replaced with parenthesis around the number like this, (X.XXX). I don't know if this helps or not.

I dont think that you need a .lsp routine, use the dimension style manager or properties dialog box to fix your problem with interferences of dimension lines with adjacent dimensions. I am also assuming that you are using the baseline command in the dimension pull down menu when you do reference dimensioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back