Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reference sets in NX6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jptooldie

Automotive
Apr 14, 2010
CA
Hi there

Having some trouble with reference sets in NX6

1, How to add and delete components from the ref set? The "+" and "-" just not there anymore

2, When i clicked the new button all the components were highlighted automatically. How do I turn this off?

3, I had a neat macro in NX4 which generates a ref set called "SOLID". Is this still possible in NX6?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can i check something here by way of an example ...

I have a part that is to be an injection moulding with multiple 'overmoulded' inserts.
Within this part i have created a reference set which is called 'NOSHELL' which contains only the overmoulded inserts (and thus excludes the main body).
Then in a subsequent part I want to do a post-moulding machining operation. So I have WAVE linked the main body from the solid ref set and done my cut operation on it. Rather than WAVE all the little inserts individually, I have just set the main part to 'NOSHELL'.

Would this be better done within 'arrangements'?

I've always worked on the assumption that 'ref sets' work at a component level to define what your part is.
And then 'arrangements' work at an assembly (or sub-assy) level to help you define different build configurations.

Jon S

Medical Design Engineer - Glos. UK
NX 6.0.4.3 / TCE V10.0.3.8.6

If the items which you are trying to control are individual Components in what is actually a Sub-Assembly relative to the file (i.e. next-level Assembly), then Arrangements should be considered. But if you're controlling objects WITHIN a detail part file (which will eventually show-up as a Component in some Assembly or Sub-Assembly) this is where Reference Sets are intended to be used.

I'm not sure I can make it any more basic than that.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

i did more test on the ref set. no way i could scrap it.

there is some slight difference between NX4 part and fresh NX6 part. It's better if a new NX6 part is used. The components can be picked from the assembly tree. at least now i can use ref set manually with the same fuctionality.

still don't quite understand though. are the old and new parts supposed to be differenct fundermentally?

We occasionally are forced to alter the behavior of something which we cannot, for many reasons, go back and include (change) that behavior in legacy files. We try to avoid these situations whenever possible, but there have been a few cases where we were not able to avoid it.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back