Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Referencefor a Beam-to-column moment connection with a sloped beam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psymiun

Structural
Nov 18, 2020
US
see the attached picture,

I designed a regular 90 degree WF to HSS moment connection via a cap plate. Turns out now my boss wants a slight pitch to the roof maybe about a 2" height difference between the front and back face of HSS column (see image). My question is can I reuse this same connection (shown in the image). It seems like it would look rather odd sloped. Do I need to account for any changes to me conection calcs aside from the slope giving the beam some compression?

also if this connection is no good, does anyone have any references out there for commen sloped moment connections :(

Thanks
cap_moment_vzj1xv.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not sure the outmost bolts have adequate clearance for tightening. Redraw your elevation view to adjust the stiffeners.

This is a pretty common situation. The slope should be accounted for in the connection design but the fundamentals of the design approach will remain unchanged. Where they are differences, they will mostly pertain to constructability and ease of fabrications. Non-orthogonal stiffeners, oddball welds, bolt clearances (r12)...

This came up recently in another thread if you can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back