Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

referenses on reuse of gray water in commercial buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

meytar

Civil/Environmental
Oct 27, 2003
IL
hello
I'm looking for any information about reusing gray water in commercial (office) buildings.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please tell us more.
Reuse water varies widely in how safe it is.
In the US reuse water is usually safe around people, but obviously not for consumption. Have seen some unlicense stuff, real bad, scary.
Overseas reuse water can be nothing more than perfumed crap water, in fact, in many countries I have worked in that is all you will ever see, no secondary treatment at all.

Most use obviously is for irrigation.
Have seen just a slight bit of use for supplying hose bibs that are in restricted areas and well marked, but this would be rare.

I could easily see it being used for flushing toilets, but have never seen it done before, except overseas.

What are you looking at, I am interested.

PUMPDESIGNER

i'm looking in reusing gray water (from sinks and air condition mainly)for flushing toilets and/or irrigation. the question is, is there enough gray water to reuse in order to flush toilets from an office building?
i want to know amounts and quality of the water and if there is a working system like this, i want to know how is it working and what kind of treatement do they give the water.

American Society of Plumbing Engineers (ASPE) has a few publications dealing with gray water use. One of their data books (Vol 2 I believe) has a chapter on gray water reuse. Michael Frankel's "Facility Piping Systems Handbook" is also a good resource.

Our agency, we are a large county on the west coast of Florida, treats our wastewater with AWT processes and produces a product which meets State (FL) and Federal Primary and Secondary Drinking Water Standards. Pretty good stuff! We have a higher demand for it than we can supply. The Florida Administrative Code (FAC) Section 62-610.476 allows for the use in toilets. There are several other allowed uses, such as cooling tower, and scrubber make up water, ash conveying water, and wash down water (as used by the local electric utility). Our biggest users are golf courses, as well as, residential customers for lawn/landscape irrigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back