Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Regional Use of ASTM C33 Aggregate in Concrete Mix 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHoff

Structural
Aug 20, 2013
US
A building I designed is currently in the bid phase and is located in Omaha, NE, right on the border of Iowa and Nebraska. Our specification on this project (as well as every other project I have done in the area) requires ASTM C33 aggregate for the concrete mix. I was told by a concrete supplier bidding the project that ASTM C33 aggregate is common in central Iowa, but not common in Nebraska. This is the first I have ever heard this comment. I am struggling to find any data that could either support or disprove this claim. Has anyone else in the Omaha area ever heard this comment?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASTM C33 is not a specific aggregate, it "defines the requirements for grading and quality of fine and coarse aggregate (other than lightweight or heavyweight aggregate) for use in concrete."

ACI 318 requires that normalweight concrete use aggregates that conform to ASTM C33 with the following exception: "Aggregates that have been shown by test
or actual service to produce concrete of adequate strength and durability and approved by the building official."
Maybe call the Omaha building department and see if they have any thoughts on the issue.

I find it hard to believe that a reputable supplier would take issue with meeting ASTM C33 requirements for structural concrete.

Thanks dauwerda. I agree that it is odd for a supplier to object to this standard. I have a message out to the Omaha Building and Planning Department to see if they frequently approve aggregate that does not meet ASTM C33 requirements. We'll see what they have to say...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back