Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Regulator fines engineers 8 years after Mount Polley disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
Three engineers have been disciplined nearly eight years after one of Canada's worst mining catastrophes.
Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia, a provincial regulatory and licensing body, said in a statement that its years-long investigation into the Mount Polley disaster was among its most complex cases.
As a result, two former engineers have been ordered to pay a combined $226,500 while a third has been temporarily suspended and ordered to complete additional training.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Reminds me of a disaster that happened while I was still in University: Westray.

In that the Royal Inquiry included my favourite quote about the "business" of Engineering:

"The Westray story is a complex mosaic of actions, omissions, mistakes, incompetence, apathy, cynicism, stupidity and neglect,"
Justice Peter Richard, 1997.

As terrible as these accidents are, there are some real insights available in the reports. I believe that Dr. Morgenstern wrote the independent review report and it is quite a good read if you are into that sort of thing. It would almost be beneficial if there were actually seminars where they looked at these failures in depth, which may provide the defendents a chance to redeem themselves through peer-to-peer education.

Got most of the reasons... I'd have used errors instead of mistakes... but OK

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

...as miningman notes, I have no idea of why it took so long.

-Dik

I have been to seminars run by the CSB reviewing chemical incidents.
They are very interesting.
In many cases they investigate hundreds of separate issues.
And while there may be discrepancies in many of them, in the end it is usually only a hand full that contributed to the incident.
They say that there are no accidents, only errors of omission and commission.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back