Not open for further replies.

civilman123

Civil/Environmental
Dec 12, 2023
GB
Hello everyone.

For the design of a cantilever retaining wall with:
1) vertical expansion joints every 30m (across the length of the structure) and
2) vertical partial contraction joints every 10m (across the length of the structure - 50% reinforcement continues through the joint)
3) The above joints will also apply to the foundation slab of the wall

To calculate the earth pressure area for the design will I consider only the length between the expansion joints?

Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Below my comments ,

1- vertical expansion joints could be every 30m ( depending on temperature , shrinkage of concrete ...)
2- vertical contraction joints normally provided at intervals not exceeding 7.5 m.
3- Not necessarily. The foundation is buried so , the EJ could be provided with longer sections.

The calculation is performed for unit width , ( 1.0 m)

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

1) vertical expansion joints every 30m (across the length of the structure) on NYSDOT projects we usually limit this to 90', 27 m
2) vertical partial contraction joints every 10m (across the length of the structure - 50% reinforcement continues through the joint)[COLOR=]30', 9m for contraction joints but we don't run the bars thru[/color]
3) The above joints will also apply to the foundation slab of the wallexpansion joints through footing but not contraction joints

To calculate the earth pressure area for the design will I consider only the length between the expansion joints?typically we design on a per foot basis

We typically use complete expansion joints through the wall only (not the footing) and space them around 100 ft (30m).
Our crack control joints (contraction joints) typically run at 10 ft. (3m) spacing. We have both maintained horizontal reinforcement though the joint and also sometimes cut 1/2 the bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back