Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinforcement Splicing: Any Issues With This Layout? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quade999

Civil/Environmental
May 29, 2020
US
Hi Everyone,

Due to the existing conditions the reinforcement needs to be spliced as shown below. Is there any issue with the splices looking like this. I don't think so, since all the lap lengths are adequate for full development, but just wanted an outside opinion.

Thanks

1_mrkiw8.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In general I'd have no problem with that layout. When they install make sure they keep splices on the same side to maintain a consistent spacing (though thats not critical).

Depending on application you will want to check your design standard for congestion limits. Some codes limit you in terms of number of splices in a given area so you will want to make sure you dont exceed that.

Why not stagger the lap splices?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Staggering is good practice if possible but the OP said this is a restoration project. A lot of the times these splices occur at the repair boundary and there are no options (other than extending repair) to do so.

Correct, this is a restoration project so I am kind of stuck with the splices where they are.

As for the blue and red splices. Both are correct (blue length is the one required, red is just extra length). The red splice could be shortened to the blue splice length, but I want to eliminate having to unnecessarily cut bars in field.

SRE... that's what I was thinking... thanks for the link...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Why are the double laps half the length of the single laps?

If all the laps are full development laps I wouldn’t have a concern.

Tomfh (Structural)

The smaller lap length is the required length. The bigger one is just extra and is to avoid having to unnecessarily cut rebar to match the smaller length.

HTURKAK (Structural)

Welded splices aren't permitted in this application according to the design code.

In these environs... lap splices are a lot less costly than welded ones...

-Dik

Quade999 said:
The smaller lap length is the required length. The bigger one is just extra and is to avoid having to unnecessarily cut rebar to match the smaller length.

If that's the case, why not just splice the existing bars with the appropriate lap and eliminate the new, short splice bars. Even if this does not meet stagger splice recommendations, it should be at least as good as the proposal and it reduces congestion.

Rebar_Splices-1_qsoa4p.png

[idea]

SlideRuleEra (Structural)

Essentially the existing splice location wasn't in the spot that was shown on the original drawings. So the new bars that have been fabricated and are being spliced onto them have a set length. So if the layout was to change like you have shown, the one lap would be too short. See below.
2_ojecgc.png

Ok, I'm assuming we don't have the full picture, but if the bars shown at the bottom are new bars, why can't they be longer so that they have an adequate lap? you have bars supplied that aren't long enough. If it was my project, I'd have them supply new bars of the correct length...or use the mechanical splices, but that's just me, I guess.

Where are they getting these short bars they're using to make up the lap? Do they have mill certs verifying the properties?

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back