Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rejected for OR PE/SE because I took SE1 for the PE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KootK

Structural
Oct 16, 2001
CA
So... kinda need my Oregon PE/SE for some work that I've got on the go. By virtue of previous efforts in California and Washington, I meet all of the requirements save one:

In Oregon you have to be a PE before you can be an SE. And you can't be an SE unless you've taken the civil version of the PE exam and only the civil version. I took the Stuctures I exam for my PE back when that used to be an option but Oregon won't accept that.

If there's anyone else out there who's dealt with this, I'd love to hear about your experience. If I have to go back to square two (I do have FE), it's going to make for a rather unpleasant/unprofitable fall season for KootK. KootK no like.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Congratulations. Not so dissimilar - I ventured out at 35 and also have a struct engineer wife. Opposed to your situation though my wife is the more technical one by far. I think you'll find the spousal engineer to be a huge advantage in having 'free' horsepower and someone to bounce ideas off of while staying lean.

I find it hard to believe that OR would refuse you when CA accepted you. CA is far, far more restrictive seismically.
Is your home base CA?
There have to be other "issues"...

Of course there are. For a comprehensive academic explanation research Milton Friedman’s dissertation on professional licensure.

I’ve been arguing for a while now that Oregon (in particular) would tighten their regulations for one specific reason: the bordering states to their north and south have very stringent requirements for licensure. In a free market that’s an intolerable situation. That is, Oregon cannot possibly stave off competition from their bordering states if the deck is stacked against them in that manner.

It’s the same reason that Illinois (read: Chicago skyscraper engineers) protected themselves against competition from New York engineers…who themselves know a thing or two about skyscrapers. Come to think of it, I understand New Jersey might be making it tough to get licensure…and, say, how far away from NY is NJ, anyway?

What Oregon should have done is something akin to what the clothing retailer did when he faced stiff competition from each side: put up a sign that said, “Main Entrance.”

KootK said:
Maybe you should join me for the exam up in Edmonton in October? We'll do it up modified wolf of wall-street style. You know: hookers, blow, Reverse Polish Notation, and intense suffering. I've got a business proposition that I'll eventually need to run by you anyhow.
I don't do RPN. Might as well actually try speaking polish.

Whenever you want to discuss that last thing I'm all ears.

". . . and, say, how far away from NY is NJ, anyway?"

an amazingly long distance, in intangibles [such as PE standards]. Physically, the Geo Washington bridge regularly takes over one hour to cross, driving as fast as possible.

KootK said:
My NCEES record is in a state of utter disarray thanks to the system "upgrade".

I did my best to rip NCEES a new one on their Facebook page regarding this. They seem to have no concept of what they've done to existing record holders. "It only takes a few minutes to get updated references" they said... took me 1.5 months to get my records transmitted. Thank goodness I was just applying to a state without having any work there yet. I would honestly abandon your old NCEES records if you suddenly need a new license ASAP.

Professional and Structural Engineer (ME, NH, MA)
American Concrete Industries

bookowski said:
Congratulations. Not so dissimilar - I ventured out at 35

Really? In that case congratulations to you! You already seem to be involved in some pretty large scale stuff which is impressive. If I'm able to get as far as you before I give myself the gold watch, I'll be grinning from ear to ear.

MacGrubber22 said:
That threw me off a bit. Farcical joke?

No, I'm not actually a registered sex offender. I plan to cling to my amateur status for as long as I can. Hey, if live pigeon shooting was able to be an Olympic sport...

jayrod said:
Whenever you want to discuss that last thing I'm all ears.

Gimme six months. I plan to need boots on the ground out your way for client loving, cakewalk field review, and local market intel. Don't worry, unless I grossly misunderstand your situation, we'll not be competitors.

WARose said:
I haven't renewed this year (yet).......what is this upgrade and why is it creating issues?

Ughh... hate to be the bearer of bad news. How bad it is very much depends on how old your record is. Mine was established in '05. Basically, my record has been deactivated and will stay that way until I somehow recreate / reinstate a bunch of the old documentation that was submitted on paper. To be honest, I'm unsure of the depth of the problem myself. I found out in the process of my OR application and had too much going on to get it sorted at that time. I managed to barely get one last transmittal out before the rolled out the new system. I received the message below from NCEES via email on June 22. If you didn't receive something similar, perhaps your record is new enough that you won't be inconvenienced. In NCEES's defense, the new system looks greatly improved. The way it's being implemented just strikes me as a bit cruel to some of us NCEES record long timers.

Your NCEES Record was established before we implemented an electronic application process. While we’ve been able to accomplish a lot with your data in its original format, it needs to be updated to an electronic format to meet the current needs of state licensing boards. Re-establishing your Record in an electronic format will take some work on your part. However, your Record will be reviewed and the relevant forms containing work history and education information will be made available to you in PDF format to make it easier. You will be notified via email when your documentation is available. How to re-establish your NCEES Record
Complete the online application
After receiving your documentation, log in to MyNCEES, select Multi-State Licensure from the dashboard, and complete the required steps to satisfy the prerequisites for the new Records system.
Transmit your Record
When all pre-requisites are satisfied, you will be able to select a state licensing board and transmit your Record. Your first transmittal fee will be waived.
Final review
NCEES will complete a final review of your Record and transmit it to the appropriate state licensing board.
Your new NCEES Record will meet the updated specifications and make it fast, easy, and convenient when applying for comity licensure.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

"Your NCEES Record was established before we implemented an electronic application process."

Therein lies the rub. You are too old - submitted your application before the age of electronics. You must have used your slide rule as I did.

Bummer dude...

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

Oh, it's way worse than you think KootK. I have a review course class to teach and a broken manhole to redesign at work but when I get a minute I'm going to make a lengthy (new) topic post on here about NCEES's records system update and all the stupid hoops you have to jump through to get it re-established.

Professional and Structural Engineer (ME, NH, MA)
American Concrete Industries

I'll be grateful for that TME. Thanks for the effort.

Ughh... hate to be the bearer of bad news. How bad it is very much depends on how old your record is. Mine was established in '05. Basically, my record has been deactivated and will stay that way until I somehow recreate / reinstate a bunch of the old documentation that was submitted on paper. To be honest, I'm unsure of the depth of the problem myself.

Just looked.....and apparently I am going to have to do the same thing. I don't get this: this is documentation that they should have been able to copy over to their "new" system themselves. Are they saying they don't have the manpower?

I sure hope I can remember everything.

KootK, I was 5 years out when I took it. But it wasn't much that I learned in college. Take the ncees practice exam doing my method of just tabbing the civil reference. I bet you get 85% for morning and 97.5% for afternoon. It's a joke of an exam. Frankly you might miss questions because it's too easy. Studying for the exam might make you a worse engineer. It's really that basic. Scary basic

At least know that, by sharing your story, you've saved me several "I can't possibly be understanding this correctly?" phone calls. This has to set some kind of benchmark for poor customer service. Only with a monopoly...

Imagine if you had high blood pressure and your doctor told you that you needed to lose 50 lbs in order to stave off a heart attack. Then, after you'd worked your ass off in the gym for two years to shed the weight, your doctor strapped you down, injected you with 50 lbs of bacon fat, and told you to start over. I might be less enraged by that turn of events than I am by this one.

Just talked to them myself today about this. Turns out it will be like re-doing your record......but wait there is more! According to the person I talked to: all the work verification will have to be done via e-mail/on-line. That question came about because I asked would snail mail addys suffice (because I don't know the e-mail addy of some of the people I've worked with over the years).

The icing on the cake? I asked if the old work reference pdfs accumulated over the years would be transmitted to a board upon request.......the answer is “no”.

So what was the point of keeping those records all those years? Are they lost? Are they going to throw them out?

Un-friggin'-believable.

Truly, it strains credulity. I just jumped back into my record again this morning. They don't even remember my contact information. After eleven years of meticulous record keeping and about $500 in annual fees and ordered transcripts, here is the sum total of what NCEES was able to "legacy link" for me:

1) My name.
2) The result of the V+L SE exams I took in 2012.
3) That I attended two post secondary institutions. They don't know the dates and I need to resubmit the transcripts.

Seriously, in my entire online NCEES record, that is all the information that exists. Yay for legacy linking! I had been assuming that my record was being copied into a database of some kind all along. What have they been using? Stone tablet? This is pretty much fraud in my estimation.

Capture_resrdd.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back