Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote data logger/OIT for WW-SCADA application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoHoCa

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2006
US
We're working with a client on a field site automation project. They have about 90 sites where they will be monitoring a flow meter and control valve. Control will be by Modicon PLC. SCADA central terminal will use Wonderware Archestra software. Communications will be via cellular modem.

We're considering a field mounted data logger (in a NEMA 4 enclosure with the Modicon PLC) in order to store data during occasional communications outages. Proposed datalogger spec:

* Solid state memory (no spinning hard drives).
* Communicate via Modbus or Ethernet to PLC to monitor data registers.
* Capability to push data, or be polled, over SCADA/cellular to the central terminal (WW InSql).
* Small b/w or color graphic display for field monitoring of trends.
* User configured screen to monitor and control field devices (DP cells, valve solenoids) via the PLC.

We are particularly interested in the format of data and its transfer from the datalogger to the Wonderware Historian (InSql database). AKA the "InSQL solution". We are unsure if a CSV (comma separated value) file will be easy for WW to import and wonder if there's something better out there. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I read that right you're saying your end goal is a seamless data base in Wonderware, constructed from two different sources, the primary and the backup.

I doubt you're going to fiid anything off the shelf that fits such a tight spec, but it's a big world out there, who knows.

Electronic, paperless recorders from the major players (Honeywell, Yokogawa, Chessell) might serve as an alternative stand-alone, Modbus master polling the PLC, OPC server providing data to the Wonderware Client.

Good Luck.

Thanks danw2. We're familiar with Chessell, Honeywell declined, and Yokogawa may be equivalent to Chessell. It seems that any 3rd party device will output a CSV file which must then be imported to WW/InSQL via custom script.

We were hoping to avoid scripting but perhaps that's just the nature of the project. Apparently we've been bit before by vendors claiming compatibility and then not delivering. So we're extra cautious this time around.

I haven't worked with WW directly, but a colleague got the OPC client in WW to take data from a Honeywell OPC server that grabbed the data from a recorder. Have you looked at the OPC client functionality in WW?

Dan

Apparently Chessell and Yokogawa units will export CSV. Maple Systems OITs will interface via OPC (file format unknown as of yet). I'm corresponding with our WW guy in Lake Forest and hope to learn more next week from their engineers. Thanks again for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back