Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Hydraulic Line Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry767

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2004
CA
Does anyone know of a commercially available system to remotely disconnect hydraulic lines? My application is as follows:

A tractor with three point hitch mounted implement which runs on hydraulics. The three point hitch can be remotely connected and disconnected from inside the cab but the hydraulics connecting the tractor to the implement are not. Would like to be able to drop the implement off the hitch and remotely disconnect the hydraulic lines and drive away. I know you can get manually actuated quick disconnect blocks to disconnect two or more lines at once but have not come across anything that could be remotely disconnected. Note that at this time remote "connection" is not necessary. Looking for ability to disconnect quickly only.

Thanks.

Larry Jorgenson, P.Eng (Mechanical - U of S, 1994)
Prairie Agricultural Machinery Institute (PAMI)
Humboldt, SK Canada

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The link you posted contains manual quick disconnects meaning you have to get off the tractor and disconnect the hoses by hand. I'm looking for some kind of remote operated disconnect. Here is the manual system we have now:

I suppose you could put some kind of electric servo motor on this to actuate it remotely but I'm curious as to whether anyone knows of a product that's already available.

Larry Jorgenson, P.Eng (Mechanical - U of S, 1994)
Prairie Agricultural Machinery Institute (PAMI)
Humboldt, SK Canada

The closest I found was a breakaway bracket Aeroquip. It is supposed to work with their FD71 coupler which is a push-to-connect coupler. The breakaway holds both female couplers and it disconnects them when the male is pulled away. It is not strictly a remotely operated coupler break. Driving away from the accessory may be enough to cause the breakaway to work.

Here is the link to their catalog.
Ted

Fabricating something up would be very easy to unclip a quick coupler but other that running hoses into the cab you would still need to reconnect the hosing at the hitch.Is it just a hassle getting in and out of the cab or is there another reason for you wanting to do this?

The cheap way is to just drive off :) They will eventually pop out, but of course that is hard on the hoses.

My though was along the lines of your second post. You could use a number of different actuation methods. The nice thing with those blocks is that the circuits always get hooked up correctly.

I assume that you are using a quick hitch. You could mount one half of the block to the quick hitch so that you wouldn't need any fancy plumbing on the tractor. Just run 2-3ft hoses to the tractor's couplers. Whatever you are using to unlock the quick hitch could probably be rigged to unlock the hydraulic block. My first thought was a small hydraulic cylinder connected to both latches. You could check out the wing lock system used on the CaseIH 4300 field cultivator and 5800 chisel plows, which I helped develop while at CaseIH.

ISZ

I saw a new John Deere with quick attach frontend loader the other day, it had a block on the side of the push frame with all the hoses plumbed to it, the hoses on the loader frame had a matching block. When you remove the loader, you rolled a lever forward to unclamp the two blocks (Apparently a face-face O-Ring seal). The lever had a cam shaped slot to draw the two halves together.

If you could live with this type of block setup being added to all your implements, you could easily automate the movement of the cam slot with a small hydraulic cylinder.

If you need From-The-Seat coupling however, you would have to accurately and rigidly mount the blocks the same on all the implements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back