Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Removal of weld from internal vessel surface 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinNZ

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2003
NZ
We have a vessel that for the process requires a smooth vessel internal wall surface. Does ASME allow protruding weld metal be removed back flush to the vessel wall after the welding?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, they do. Weld thickness (t) is always calculated without reinforcement, root side and cap side. It is a common practice in the refining industry.

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

IMO, it’s a good workmanship to have a smooth weld seam without any ripple, groove, extra metal, etc., as requested by the common Code and standards.

Not only does ASME allow it, it is best practice.
Be careful, RT or any NDE must be performed after this removal.

Regards

What??
Grinding is a change to the weld, therefore NDE must be performed on the finished weld.
This is basic. Please read the CODE.

Regards

I read what r6155 wrote as “if required” for example, by the customer, then it has to be done after removal. The code itself does not require NDE for this particular operation.

The only time that I ever did this we put the requirement into the weld qualification.
It does reduce the weld strength and changes the weld stresses a lot.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

r6155,

Are you saying code requires RT and or other NDE, just for removing the reinforcement of a weld? If that’s the case, I agree with DekDee. Cite the code requirement.

MOST of you are talking about CALCULATIONS and always about ASME VIII. Why not read ASME V?
I'm sure if you read a little deeper and have some manufacturing experience you can find the answer. The calculations are not 100% for a pressure vessel.

Regards

I believe it would behoove you to read Section V yourself. You might even learn something. [thumbsup]

r6155,

Your last comment has nothing to do with the OP question.
Is it required by the Code to perform NDT after grinding a weld in an ASME VIII-1 pressure vessel?
If you think that the answer is yes, please quote the Code paragraph which requires to do so.

The OP asked if ASME allow protruding weld metal be removed back flush to the vessel wall after the welding.
r6155 said:
Be careful, RT or any NDE must be performed after this removal.

ASME Section VIII Division 1 does not require to perform NDE after grinding a weld.

r6155 said:
Is there anyone who believes that a visual inspection after completing the welding is not necessary?

1. "who believes" is a personal interpretation of the Code not a requirement.
2. The Code gives minimum requirements.
3. you are confusing "necessary" and "shall".

As you said, no control is required after grinding the weld, according to ASME VIII Div. 1.
Ridículous.
I suggest further reading on ASME and other codes.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back