Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

removing mercaptans from tail gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbajaj

Chemical
Oct 7, 2003
US
hi!

i am just starting a new project on removing of mercaptans (3000 ppmv) from gas. i am unaware of the processes that can help to remove the mercaptans. can someone help me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

pbajaj,

Does your gas stream has H2S in it, if yes what is the mole % or ppmv present? Do you want all of your mercaptans removed?

Regards
sp77

thanx for the reply sp77. yes, the gas stream will have H2S and in range of 35-50 ppmv. In reality I will not be able to remove all the mercaptans but if we can reach as low 3-4 ppmv that will probably acceptable as per california rules and regulations. hope you will be able to shred some light on this.

once again thanks for answering. i am hoping to hear from you soon.

regards,
pbajaj

pbajaj:

Reducing a mercaptan stream from 3000 to 3 or 4 ppmv is a tall order, especially since H2S makes up less than 50 ppmv out of the 3000. For this kind of efficiency, your best bet may be oxidation (say with RTO), followed by a wet scrubber to take out the resulting SO2 with a base.

Peter.

There are gas treatments that can react with and removed mercaptons and H2S from gas streams - biogas, methane, nat gas, etc.

GE Betz has such treatments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back