Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rendered image with 3D section 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpopkov

Mechanical
May 20, 2013
FI
Hello,
I wanted to ask if it is possible in NX to create a rendered image with a 3D section. I made it by making a copy of an assembly and making assembly cut, but id there any other way?
- I need to cut only some of components
- PMI secton + render does not work
- Regular section + render does not work

Best regards,
Alexander Popkov

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assembly cut is the way to go for a 3d rendered image and only needing to cut through some of the components. When you say rendered do you mean photo realistic? If so, assembly cut is the way.
Cut-a-way 3d section views can be done in Drafting through the use of "Break-out section view" and whether components are sectioned in that view can be controlled by "section components in view". This view can be displayed on a drawing in wireframe or Shaded.

when in the modeling module check into
View -> section -> clip work section
and then view -> section -> edit work section
to see if you are able to get what you want

Technically you can use the NX Render tools to create an image of an Assembly where you've used the PMI 'Section View' function to cut away a partion of the model. The problem is that since the 'cut' faces only exist in the view in which they're created, you can not assign any sort of texture or material, such as a smooth face, on the cut-a-way of the component that has say a cast or rough finish. At least the cut faces inherit the texture applied to the body, but it's still not what most people would want.

That being said, the best approach for now is using the Cut Solid function as you will get faces in the current model that you can assign textures and materials to.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back