Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacement for Strucalc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcowscarnival

Civil/Environmental
Sep 19, 2013
US
There are a couple of older threads regarding replacing strucalc software or comparing it to other options for quick straightforward residential structural analysis. A local jurisdiction that I occasionally work in has jumped to 2018 with plans to move to 2021 next year. My latest version of StruCalc stopped at 2015 code sets when they were purchased by Virtuvius. I have not looked into the Virtuvius software as I'm not keen on the licensing/leasing method for seats; I prefer to fully purchase a seat that will work for as long as I need it to. I've looked at Enercalc before (years ago), but preferred StruCalc's slick output and simple use. Are there any other current options that are similar to StruCalc? Is EnerCalc the best bet? I'm fine with purchasing software, no need for freeware, just don't want some monthly or yearly fee. We bought new seats for StruCalc yearly, was a shame their biz model was apparently not working out.

EDIT: Well, I see Enercalc is subscription based too. Are there any seat purchase software programs left?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree that woodworks is a perfect option in lieu of strucalc
I too had strucalc and refuse to pay monthly fees.

Woodworks is a great software which I use daily.
Granted it doesn't do all that strucalc did (flitch beams, Collar ties etc)
But does everything else

I tried ies but wasn't for me.
I ended up going with SAFI SOFTWARE as they too offer purchase price. Great software and extremely user friendly.

P

I have not used StruCalc, but I know there have been several threads over the years with people not happy about their licensing and customer service since ownership changed hands.

Can you provide a rough cost for the software?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Dik
For the full suite it came roughly 7k canadian.
This includes
Full fledged 3d FEA design / analysis software
Wood design module
Concrete design module
Steel design module
Cold form design module
Steel calc for columns and beams -stand alone

Fdn calc for fdn design stand alone module.

The stand alone modules are super convenient as you just run the components necessary.

Finally their calustomer service is absolutely amazing.

Depending on your needs, some StruCalc replacements might include:
- The Vitruvius Project (subscription)
- ClearCalcs (subscription - also where I work)
- Woodworks (subscription, wood only)
- Enercalc (subscription)
- ForteWeb (free, wood only)

I'll let you research the merits of each since I'm obviously a little biased :)

Regarding your preference for non subscription based, a lot of the lifetime license systems will also include a yearly maintenance fee or release yearly editions anyway (so you're still on the hook, or your software ends up out of date). The idea of the subscription is basically just the maintenance fee without the needless upfront fee. Speaking from a ClearCalcs perspective, it also creates a huge incentive for us to listen to our users and keep improving - if we don't, it's a lot easier and cheaper for users to switch to a better platform.

I hope that's helpful - good luck with your search!

-Laurent

To all, thank you for the replies. Seems like most of the same software I've been reading about with a few packages I hadn't heard about before. I'll get some trial installs going and unfortunately will probably be looking at the subscription programs as the seat purchase ones above are far above what I need a program for. Laurent, I appreciate the explanation, but I don't work in an area that is constantly keeping up to date, so programs held over long term work best for me (local AHJ is '06 codes, the other one is 2018). I also bought into Chief Architect years ago to mess around with house layout and roof plans, version X6. They release new yearly, but I don't have any need to upgrade and my seat just sits there not costing (or making) me anything. My Haested Methods, I still have the 2.5" disks, though I only fire it up for accessing really old files.

pmtottawa... thanks

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

ForteWeb is pretty good as long as you know it's shortcomings, the two key ones for me are:
- Does not, and according to their support will never, account for creep in deflections.
- Does not allow for design of wood products outside of those supplied by Weyerhaeuser.

Woodworks is pretty cheap for what you get in their package and can be used for quick multi-span beam analysis inclusive of every possible transient load pattern, for us folks doing house design it has the option for simple steel beam design as well.

My Personal Open Source Structural Applications:

Open Source Structural GitHub Group:

Celt - it does simple steel? I had no idea. How in depth does it go? Just simple uniform load assuming laterally braced or can release the top flange and do more complicated loading?

ClearCalcs - 1) kudos for properly presenting yourself and stating your intentions. 2) looks like a neat package. I'm really intrigued by the CAD plug-in. Sadly I use AutoCAD LT which doesn't support plugins, but it's still a cool idea. I'll probably give it a test drive in the coming weeks.

ClearCalcs looks very promising. I'll subscribe it when it has retaining wall module (both cantilevered and restrained walls and/or multi-level restrained walls). Will try it for 14 days to see how well it works.

Currently I have Enercalc (desktop version) but I just stopped maintenance. I also have WoodWorks all modules in which I love Shearwalls the most and I don't think I can live without after so many years doing shear wall design manually via spreadsheets. I wish it could do irregular shaped diaphragms. I was told by a support guy that a new version that'll do both gravity and lateral is in the making (hope it can do irregular diaphragms).

Anyone knows or remembers or still use Building Worx or LateralWorx 10 years ago. I didn't pay attention to it at the time nor had a chance to use it either but found some presentations that showed it was very interesting/amazing software. Unfortunately, it died too early because of lack of funding and bad market at the time. Anyone still has an installation copy of it?

Just thought I would let everyone know that as of a few months ago that Forte will now do flush and dropped steel floor beams. There are limited sizes of W8, W10, W12, W14, W18, and W18 available.

I too used Strucalc and basically switched to Forte as my primary gravity design program for the residential projects I do. I do also use BeamChek 2021 for an occasional steel roof beam otherwise. This handles from the concrete upward.

I do need to re-do typical isolated footings and continuous stem wall footings under 2018 codes and am also a bit loathe to subscribe to Vitruvius they way they have handled everything. I don't really do anything else more complicated with concrete (I leave retaining walls, etc. to the the PE).

Is there a freebie/non-subscription program out there that will do these footings?

Plan B is ClearCalcs looks like it might work out.

I've been following SkyCiv for the past 5 years and I've been impressed by their progress, it seems like they release updates and enhancements every month.

Cloud-based software is the future.

I used SkyCiv for about a year. Customer service was fantastic, and I'm excited to see where they're going. While I like the idea of cloud based software, I find myself traveling too often to be able to rely on it all the time. My hot spot is great, but it's not perfect and can't always handle the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back