Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing of aging LV switchgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLuc

Electrical
Mar 30, 2007
CA
Hi all,

I would like to have some advices about the replacement of breaker in an aging switchgear.

Some of you have probably been in this situation; we have two options : replacing the whole switchgear or replacing the breaker and cradle.

As usual, downtime has to be minimal.

Here is the situation: it is an office building, switchgear has 29 breakers (1600A, 600V, Federal Pioneer 50HL-1).

Incoming line and all feeders enter the switchgear by the top, and it is all busduct(makes the option of replacing switchgear less appealing).

Do some of you have been this situation, and if yes (or no), what solution would you choose (I know there's a lot of factors involved, but I just want to know your general opinion about the problem, I know this situation is becoming more frequent)

Also, do you know a manufacturer that could supply direct replacement for Federal Pioneer 50HL-1 breakers and cradle, (no buss work to do in the cell, just have to install new cradle and breaker with a new door)?

Would it be wise to start replacing each breaker individually with modern breakers (say Masterpact NW), including buss work to fit the new cradle in the cell. Doing that 29 times seems long to me! But at the same time complete cell replacement seems impossible (to much downtime, no space to put it elsewhere, all feeders are bussducts).

Thanks in advance for your opinions/experiences/suggestions!

JL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I thought that Square D made a replacement C/B and rack-out cradle which fit right into the existing FP cubicle for this application, leaving you with a new C/B and a new rack-out mechanism. You could check with Square D or Schneiders about it.

We do all of this every day, there are several options other than the ones you posted, dont panic, this is much easier than you think.

I have a big 50H reconditioning project in my shop right now (80 breakers) and we have several in stock so we can do batches at a time.

The ones we are reconditioning and upgrading with modern trip devices and communications on this job are actually replacing a more modern breaker (OEM name withheld).

Scott

Zogzog - I've been told that spare parts for Federal Pioneer 50HL-1 are no longer available and/or hard to find. Is that correct?

Can I ask the exact model of trip device you are installing on yours.

Thanks for the feedback!

JL

they are no longer made and are hard to find, however, we never get rid of our last part of anything, we manufacture many older switchgear parts that are hard to find, there are some breakers I can build from scratch.

We are putting AC PRO kits on this batch, but we can use anything ever made, 5 millions parts in stock has its advantages.

Scott

Altough I'm against it, Schneider has a system which uses a double cradle mecanism. Remove the old breaker, put the new cradle onto the old one, and put the new breaker on the new cradle.

Thats called a retrofill, they usually dont work as well as they are supposed too, I have done some of those for ITE K-alpha series gear, we designed a kit for it.

Eaton has a solution aswell using the Magnum DS, I believe the catalog number would be 50HL-AR1600M, AR means air replacement. You could also get the Digitrip 1150 with maintenance mode for arc flash reduction.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back