Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Requirement of Transverse ties as per ACI 318-14 Cl. 11.7.4.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstruct99

Structural
Jul 7, 2022
US
As per ACI 318-14, Clause 11.7.4.1, if longitudinal reinforcement is required for axial strength or if 'Ast' exceeds 0.01*Ag longitudinal reinforcement shall be laterally supported by transverse ties. When I go to Chapter 2, Notation and Terminology, this 'Ast' is referred to as total areas of non-prestressed longitudinal reinforcement. My question: Is this 'Ast' referring to the required area of steel (as per design calculations) or is this 'Ast' the actually provided steel by the EOR?
Context: We are designing a CIP concrete water tank with two layers of reinforcement. In order not to exceed the stress ratio, I just need to provide #5 @ 6" O.C. on each face. For this scenario, I do not need to provide transverse ties as per Cl. 11.7.4.1. However, what we want to do is significantly increase the rebar sizes to keep the stress ratio well below working stress. Also, we want to reduce the spacing of rebars as per ACI 350-20. Consequently, we want to specify #7 @ 4" O.C. on each face, which triggers Cl. 11.7.4.1.
Given this context, do we need to provide transverse ties?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This was clarified in an errata.
"If longitudinal reinforcement is required for compression and if Ast exceeds 0.01 Ag". So as long as that rebar you're providing is not required for compression, one could argue you don't need to tie them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back