Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Residential Street Sign 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

washark

Civil/Environmental
Mar 11, 2003
US
My client wants to use "non-standard" regulatory and guide signage in a SFR. I know to follow the MUTCD, but I can't find an answer to...can a street name sign mount on a stop sign, or be placed over the stop sign? Also, has anyone used a "different" sign in a SFR so that it does not seem like you are driving down a state road?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's Friday afternoon and I am tired, so I do not know what you mean by "SFR", but in MUTCD 2000 Section 2D.38, PG 2D-31, in the Option section, "Street Name signs may also be placed above a regulatory or STOP sign with no required vertical separation." I would make sure the street name sign is acutally used for a street as we recognize them as a transportation feature, not at a STOP sign for a driveway at a business and the street name is cleverly named "My Business Name Drive".

NY's Vehicle and Traffic Law requires municipalities to follow the state's sign manual, Volume 17B of the NY Code. Your state may also require local agencies to follow the MUTCD or your state's equivalent. Your state DOT's Traffic office may have the answer to that question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back