Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Results scales with mouse wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Settingsun

Structural
Aug 25, 2013
AU
Does anyone else have the problem that there's a point with enlarging the bending moment diagram using the mouse wheel which, if you go beyond (make the diagram larger), then you can't make it smaller again? For me, it's 0.7 kNm/m. No matter how much I scroll the wheel, it won't make the diagram smaller, though I can go larger and then smaller back to 0.7 scale. The only way around seems to be to go to the Structure Diagrams dialogue box and change the scale there.

If anyone knows the solution, please let me know.

If this is (yet) a(nother) Staad problem and the Staad guys are lurking, please fix.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes I have seen this happening when using the mouse scroll. You may go to the Structure Diagrams > Scale. Check the box named “Apply Immediately” and then you can use the up and down arrow keys to adjust the scale dynamically for any of the items. This should not have the problem.

To answer to your second question, there is no option to annotate the Torsion from within the within Annotation Dialog box. You need to go to the Beam Results > Graphs, right click on any of the diagram windows and choose Diagrams > Torsion.

Thanks for the reply, Sye.

I didn't understand how to use the Apply Immediately function. Whenever I go into the Scales dialogue, it is always unchecked again, even after I selected Save As Default while it was checked. Using the up & down keys just zooms the structure, not the results diagram.

The torsion numbers workaround is disappointing and not really better than reading the results tables.

In general, I find Staad's results viewing very disappointing. Why can't torsion be displayed like all other results (and all other software)? Was it simply forgotten? But it seems as though it would take more effort to make the software non-functional specifically for torsion than to make it functional like all the other results. And the annotation constantly turns itself off - ON SHOULD BE DEFAULT! Engineering is a numbers game.

Steveh49, just to add to your data points, yes I've seen this behavior. As you said, it is yet another bug. I suspect it will never be fixed. It's right up there with the zoom window bug. Have you ever tried to zoom window real tight on something? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's always been this way. Even before STAAD.Pro came out and you had to use STAAD.Pre or whatever to view graphics it was goofed up. I wanted to show a REI guy (that's who owned STAAD at the time, this was over 20 years ago) the bug at a trade show and he just laughed nervously and refused.

They are always so busy developing their next "gee whiz" improvement that they won't take time to fix basic functionality issues.

Hi Dozer, thanks for confirming. I wondered whether a reinstall was in order but now I won't bother. 20 years? Guess I won't hold breath either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back