Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reverse Engineer my guitar neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

poolrod2

Aerospace
Jan 23, 2017
US
Hi everyone, I tried it all, I had this neck digital scanned but I can't machine some of it because of the faceted surfaces over running other ones. Any help would be great.
mesh_mess_catia_w2202v.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is the area I would like a solid so I could hemstitch it without running up over the headstock and foot where the triangle surfaces overhang.
facets_all_over_t6fe33.jpg

Neck has pretty simple shape so you can reverse engineer the whole neck and not just particular part.
Have you tried to create a solid?

Regards,
Jenia Ladkov

I tried it all, ha ha. Solidworks, Meshcam Geomagic Freecad Catia Mastercam AutoCAD Hypermesh and Maya, I even tried some take 100 pics of it and it will be a solid software. Any help will be great. This is my Catia attempt with auto surface recognition.
Catia_Attempt_mibgbf.jpg

Here's my humble input:

I am (was) a part-time luthier, using CNC to do my parts.

Best approach is to do a full reverse engineering process, and go section by section.

Rebuild contour, headstock, neck profile sections (1st fret, 12th, heel) etc etc.

The real plus side, is that you can do each section of your neck parametric, and link a CATProcess to it.

I had it configured like that, basicaly you edit a profile section (say you want a Fender Eric Clapton V-shape neck).

So, edit profile, update model. Update process. Output APT. Post-process, and get G-Code. CNC machine.

Same applie to scale length, width at nut, heel...you could even configure patterns in catia to have 6, 7, and 8 string models that would uptade automaticaly.

Rinse and repeat.

Thank you Daniel, I have the blueprints for it all but I'm sure I won't be able to nail the Volute radiuses, and intersect them.I can also do a silhouette boundary as shown below and build, but still can't do the transitions 2 rail sweeps or something, too tough for me.
Silouette_Boundary_ewsnzj.jpg
IMG_4556_stmvjg.jpg

I'm not sure how to send a pm on here Daniel, but here is a better blueprint. I don't need the fretboard, just the neck. In fact, all I really need is the back radius side of the neck and volute's matching my neck to head and heel sides. Something like below only just where the cutter needs to go on the radiuses.
Untitled_lps3vv.jpg
IMG_4603_urmrt5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back