Reverse Power 32-1& 32-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

azril83

Electrical
Aug 23, 2007
MY
Good Day Guys,
Simple question from me. What can caused reverse power to Turbine-Generator? Can anybody give some explanations.

Thanks,
Azril.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Reverse power to a generator may also occur when a generator's breaker is closed inadvertently when aligned to an energized switchyard - of course proper procedure and protective devices should prevent this from occurring, but believe me, it does occur.

I believe you.
Problem is reverse power operated in this case. 50AE ( or dead generator, or other terms) must be operated before.
Regards.
Slava

32-1 normally reserved for "sequential trip" meaning that the turbine generator breaker will open if the sequential trip is enabled, all steam turbine port stop valves are closed, time delay is met (3sec or so typ.) As mentioned in another post, this is typically how a steam turbine is normally shut down

32-2 typically emergency trip of generator breaker after predetermined time delay after sequential trip is enabled. I have seen around 30 sec however different sized machines should have different settings.

Hi Azril,
Base on my own working experience,the causes of reverse power in turbine generator can be attributed to:
1. improper position / incorrect polarity wiring of C.T
in the generator or generator sychronization
panel to reverse power relay( it happen in a
newly install generator or panel)
2.it can been experience if one of generator in
synchrization have a decrease voltage and frequency
discrepancy, which will resulted to the generator to
work like motor, also affect direction of flow
current in primary and secondary side of c.t and it
resulted to reverse power fault.
Rgd
DAPOTITI

I guess another cause of reverse power trip could be speeding up of a machine in parallel.
I get that at times when commissioning diesel generator sets, and they are lightly loaded. One can speed up while adjusting governors and cause a reverse power trip (or reverse kVAR trip) on the other generator before the first reaches overspeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back