Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reversing Compound DC Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryogrady

Agricultural
May 18, 2003
CA
15 May 2004 11:11 PM

I have an older model General Electric DC motor. I would like to be able to reverse the motor direction by using a toggle type switch if possible. The motor data plate holds the following information:
Model 5BC66AB61L
Type BC
Frame 66A
½ hp
Wound Comp
4.6 amp
GEJ-667

The data plate shows the the 5 wires labeled as A1 F1 S1 A2 L2.
For CCW rotation, A1+F1 are connected to one side of the bridge rectifier line ,S1+A2 connected together, L2 is connected to the other side of the rectifier line.
For CW rotation the data plate shows A2+F1 connected to one side of the rectifier line ,S1+A1 connected together, L2 is connected to the other side of the rectifier line.

The motor works well in both directions when the wire changes are performed manually.I would like to incorporate a switching device via the simplest possible means to allow the motor to be reversed. Any drawings or information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers...Gerry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can think of a couple of ways to do this, personally I would use a double pole-double throw-center off dc motor rated toggle switch, connect A1 and A2 to the two common terminals then connect F1 to one of the remaining terminals and take a jumper wire from there to the terminal located diagonally across the switch, then land S1 on one of the remaining two terminals and jumper that diagonally to the remaining terminal, then land the hot wire from your bridge rectifier to one of the F1 terminals and leave L2 hooked up to the other side of your rectifier, this way you will have a center off position on your switch, this could also be accomplished with a standard 4 way switch from the local hardware store but there will be no off position and am not sure how it would handle the DC current,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back