Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Revising parts and breaking links to drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewsepha

Mechanical
Dec 11, 2003
GB
Tried to search for this one without success - it's bound to have happened to someone out there (or we are just plain stupid)!!

It happened as follows:-
1. using revision manager, an assembly was opened and the 'where used' found what models and draft drawings were used in it.
2.Some parts were selected with their relevant drafts and up-reved so we could make some changes.
3. Changes were performed to the parts and everything looked sweet.
4. The draft drawings were then to be opened and updated, but when we looked for them they hadn't been up-reved.

What happened was that the search command was not expanded out enough to catch all the draft drawings (in a seperate folder).

We now have 7 parts with no reference to any draft drawing.

Is there any way to restore a link from the new part model to the last revision of the draft drawings and updating them?

Thanks in advance

Andrew.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understood:

Copy the previous rev drawings before re-linking and set the copies to the new rev.

Then use revision manager to link the new rev drawing to the new rev model.

I assume you know how to change the links with revision manager using 'set action to replace'?

This happens here more often than I'd like to admit.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Hi,

also possible:

- open the draft(s) in question

- MainToolBar --> Edit
--> Links
--> select the link that is no longer valid
--> Change Source
browse to it and select it --> open
Chnage Source

dy

Don, that's how I used to do it before I learnt Revision Manager. Now I've been shown how to use it I find revision manager a lot more efficient/easier. Given what the OP says about having done the where used in Rev manager I assume he has some familiarity with it.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

If I understand you correctly, the part/assembly files are no longer "a part of the draft". In that case you would need to open the draft (in Rev manager) incrinemt ther rev, and replace the parts/assembly in that draft, it should then only require and update once the draft is opened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back