Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right Click

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccrawford

Nuclear
May 11, 2009
US
I've used SolidWorks forever, recently I got a job using Pro/E. With SW, right-clicking does nearly everything; in 2009 it almost reads your mind. Is there a way to create a right click pop-up menu in Wildfire 4?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SolidWorks is just plain wonderful. In my whole 2 1/2 months on Pro/E, I've tweaked it to the point where it functions just like SW. Mapkeys seem to be the only nice configurable thing in this software. F is now fit, S is now sketch, T is now trim, etc.. WF4 does have some right click ability but only if you click on something first. I got really spoiled by SW09...

I'd suggest used Mapkeys which can be assigned keboard Shortcuts.

idp Insert Datum Plane
idc Insert Datum Coordinate System
ida Insert Datum Axis

SolidWorks does not allow shortcut keys like this and I'm waiting for it to be added they only allow CTRL ALT or SHIFT modifiers
e Extrude
CTRL+e Extrude Cut
SHIFT+e Extrude Surface

Tools > Customize Screen has two options in Commands tab
Mapkeys has a list of the keyboard shortcut recorded menu selection actions easier to modify than SW Macros
And New Menu which has a New Flyout icon that can be displayed on any toolbar and can have any group of icons dragged into it. These flyout icons will show while in customize screen mode so you can see and change the order.

Michael

Frank,

As helpful as your post is with its precision grammer and all, CAD packages are just tools. If you can't make the tool work for you then maybe you should either read the instructions (i.e. help menu) or get some training. It could also be that your skill set needs some debugging of its own.

Steve

Pro/E is quite powerful after you get the hang of things.
I've seen some very impressive things done with Pro that cannot be done with SolidWorks, and I am a certified expert in SW, (CSWP). Although Pro/E is not at all user friendly, I'm starting to like it...

To be fair, I have seen somethings that SW does better the Pro/E, and a few that Pro/E does virtualy does not do.

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

Oh yeah, there are tons of things SW does better. It is by far my favorite 3D software... but... SW is a memory hog. Pro somehow manages large assemblies much better. Bang for your buck, Nobody beats SolidWorks. In years of using NX, Catia, SW, Pro... there are things that have features that are better than others. But then if they were all the same we would all still be stuck on 2D AutoCrap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back