Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rigid modes response in structural dynamic analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

subbu9394

Mechanical
Jan 6, 2015
IN
How to understand the response from rigid body modes in modal transient analysis of free free aircraft model with landing gear loads. Does rigid modes respond to excitation part beyond 0 frequency?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Greg, it should be rigid mode which will participate more. But would I get any strain? My main problem is understanding strain from this, constant force produces strains, clear from Inertia relief analysis, but do I get strains from modal transient analysis in this case

why do rigid modes excite at all ?

I thought rigid body motion was an artifice of FEM, as opposed to a real world thing. eg if I apply equal and opposite loads to a model, I still have to restrain the rigid modes even though they aren't doing anything.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Well, in experimental modal analysis we see a zero Hz response which we call the residual. It is, in the appropriate units, the spring stiffness of the foundation, for a fixed system, or the mass of an unrestrained system. It is a real effect.

For instance consider a simple spring mass system. At 0 hz you will merely stretch the spring.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back