Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Riks analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senad83

Mechanical
Jul 13, 2007
NO
Hi,

I'm doing some buckling analysis of a simply supported plate. I've ran linear buckling analysis to find the eigenvalues and used the lowes eigenvalue in a Riks analysis to seed an imperfection. But I expirience some wierd things. If I seed my imperfection to 1, the analysis complete and I can easely find the results. But if I seed the imperfection to 5, the analysis will not complete. The same happends if I run Riks analysis whitout seeding any imperfection. Do anybody know what could cause this?

Regards

Senad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The post buckling analysis is very sensitive analysis.
Do you try to take a step before analysis of buckling with a load of 90% of the first eigenvalue analysis of buckling not preloaded ?
Remember to active the nlgeom parameter to on.
After this, you can use this new values for imperfection.
The result is more precise and less parameter sensitive.

I hope I have been clear.

Bye

Minoand

What I notice is that this is avoid by using a larger load in both the buckling and Riks analysis. So instead of using 1 N, I can use 1000 N and avoid the problem. I find this odd. I've used nlgeom, but the step before analysis of buckling I did not understand. Do you mean that I should run a general static step with a "dead load" before the Riks analysis?

Regards

Senad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back