Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RISA 3d v 18 - New format 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We had problems linking with RISA Floor and RISA Foundation - it was a mess.
I really truly hope they get this stuff ironed out soon.

Hi All!
I watched a very interesting movie
WEBINAR: Experience the All-New RISA-3D (January 17, 2020) I really liked it. Really very convenient and quick calculations. Very convenient and detailed reports.
I download and install demo version (install_3d_demo_1704), but a see old user  interface.
How to enable new UI in program?

Amicus Plato, sed magis arnica Veritas

AFreeM
Not really strange i dont think? That's how it has always been. The demos are essentially fully unlocked versions of the prior full version with some limitations (e.g. saving models with over 40 joints, etc).

dold (Structural)
It is strange that I can not download demo RISA-3D V.18, with a new UI. I cannot enable new UI in demo v.17.04. I can only watch movies and this is strange. [ponder]

AFreeM -

It's definitely a strange choice by RISA. Perhaps another indication that this release was a bit "rushed".

Now, technically, it's not all that strange. Some thoughts on the "Demo Versions". For years, the demo version of the program and the release version of the program were identical. It's just that if the licensing info wasn't detected, then the program invoked the demo limitations. Meaning you couldn't save a model larger than 40 nodes, or 40 members or such.

Then some clever hackers used this pirate the software. They were able to snip out the save limitations on the demo. Granted, you still had "Demo" shown on any print outs. But, it was a concern. For that reason, the demo was modified to be a totally separate executable. That way it was impossible to snip out the save limits.

Now, as I understand it, v18.0 is a complete rewrite of the program's interface. What's more, is this new version of the interface was done entirely (as I understand it) by the Ukrainian group of developers. So, any one who was truly involved in RISA-3D's main development was not really involved. Therefore, once the new program looked "finished" they likely had a number of minor issues to work out.... Interaction between programs, wiring up the licensing, creating the ability to dumb down the program into a Demo version, etc. So, it makes sense that some of this stuff is imperfect or missing.... At least it makes sense to me.

Usual caveats about my being a former RISA employee and my views being biased based on some not so nice feelings about how my term there ended.....

JoshPlumSE (Structural)
Thank you very much for clarifying the situation.
I Understand demo version is absent.
But how can we evaluate the work of the program only by watching movie files?
I have to look for alternative RISA-3D.[sad]

AFreeM -

This is a temporary problem. They will get the demo's up and running again in some form.

Also, I suspect that if you called them and explained the problem they would give you a temporary license for the full version. Maybe limited to 30 or 60 days or something.

nadeemK -

I don't believe we're supposed to share our e-mails on the Eng-Tips forum. Though I have contacted (or been contacted by) a number of Eng-Tips users via LinkedIn messages. So, if you know the persons name, you might start there....

dold (Structural)
RISA 3D Net v.18 Not interesting at all. Our company has already bought software licenses. Thanks to JoshPlumSE (Structural) for his review. I really liked your review of the programs "Risa 3d Alternate?"[link ] [/url].
RISA team - Great job! I wish you a large number of sales!
My personal opinion is - the demo RISA 3D Net v.18 - is a complete failure of the author OlderEngr (Structural) (Bruce Bates Founder of RISA Technologies)

Amicus Plato, sed magis amica Veritas

I am using v18.0. I want to rotate the view 90 degrees, not the actual model. Dumb question: I didn't see this addressed above. For some reason my colleagues and I cannot find a way to rotate the view 90 degrees to match the view on our drawings. There appears to be no button in the ribbon. Can someone assist?

Weab -

You should create a new post. This one is pretty much played out. And, is more focused not so much on specific issues, but on broad perspective issues related to the new interface.

PS I don't know the answer to your question. I might try to download the v18 demo one of these days and look into it. Keep in mind, however, that the new interface will be as foreign to me as it is to you guys. I may have been giving a "sneak peek" 3 or 4 years ago. But, that was a VERY early version of the program and I never was allowed to really poke at it.

Josh

I am a long time RISA3D user. Just used v18.0.3 for two projects in the last month.
The new format is great - definitely a modern GUI.
However, there are some bugs with presentation and printing that, if I had known in advance, I would have waited for the next release.
Almost.

Have been a Risa user for many years. Not impressed with new interface. It takes too long to open, slow in accepting new inputs into the spreadsheet, takes longer to run on smaller models. Takes two clicks to get anything done. Most of the engineers in my office opt for using the older version because they know where the buttons are on the tool bar they have customized. The lack of interface with RisaFloor and RisaFoundation is a mistake. Should not have rolled out the upgrade without these interfaces. Particularly RisaFloor. Overall I am disappointed and frustrated. I think the people in charge of the new interface should have known an old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

I just used the new version for the first time this week. It has serious issues with lagging after every click or operation. A 3 hour job took me all day because I was just waiting 3-5 seconds after each click. I wanted to throw my computer out the window by the time I finished.

After doing something as simple as changing a member size in the section set spreadsheet, this message pops up while the program churns for 45 seconds and my computer's fan goes on full blast:
Annotation_2020-05-16_205122_kxjwba.png

I hope they fix the lag issue soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back