Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RISA Modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structural noob

Structural
Jan 2, 2020
US
Hey All,

I am trying to model a concrete T-beam girder (deck acting as flange composite with the girder). Since there is no way to model a T-beam in the concrete section modeling of RISA, I was thinking of different ways to model it in RISA.

1. Is it s good idea to model the flange separately and add it to the web?
2. Should I create an arbitrary section in RISA since I know the section properties of my girder?

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There should be a way to model Tee beams in RISA. This was added some years ago.

Step 1: Draw in your concrete member as a rectangular beam.
Step 2: double click the member to bring up the member properties dialog.
Step 3: on the "Design" tab, enter in the left and right flange thickness and depths.

image_zdilkf.png

This treats the Tee beam as a single concrete flexural member. That's what you're looking for, right? Obviously, if you want, you could also model it with plate elements representing the flanges and / or the stem. But, that becomes more complicated and is often less useful.

I hope that helps!

Lionel -

That's because you drew it in as a "general material" member not as a concrete member. Those design options are only available for members that are defined with concrete materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back