Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Risk of seawater corrosion to the bolt hole and screw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackfeng

Petroleum
Nov 28, 2002
US
An equipment made of carbon steel will be used about 30 meters under seawater. The wetted surfaces are coated and cathodically protected.

Bolts are used to connect a cap into the body. The bolts heads are exposed to seawater. One concern is that the seawater can get into bolt hole through the mating surfaces and may cause corrosion to the bolt hole and scew.

Anyone can tell me if this risk is high and how to provent it? Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sounds like Crevice corrosion would be the primary concern, as Ugwue already outlined. However, I would've thought if your structure was cathodically protected (impressed current) and the whole structure is immersed, then the bolting would also be protected. Maybe someone can back me up/correct me on this one.

Like boo1 rightly said,sealants provide the best method of protecting the bolt holes against corrosion.Sealants makes water impermeable to the bolt holes thus preventing water from entering the bolt holes.Sealants can be inform of gaskets etc.Care must be taken while slecting sealants to be used in other not to use poros sealants.

A serious concern with bolting materials used subsea under cathodic protection is hydrogen-stress cracking, sometimes called hydrogen embrittlement.

We have seen a number of failures of bolting materials with hardness in excess of 35 Rockwell C (HRC). 35 HRC should be specified as a maximmum for all steel bolting materials. (No Grade 8 bolts, no ASTM A 574 socket head cap screws, etc.)

Beyond that, the combination of cathodic protection and coating should be sufficient to prevent general corrosion. A good thread compound is helpful for reasons other than corrosion control.

mburns@metallurgical.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back