Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Robot Application 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

delth

Electrical
Jan 23, 2008
GB
Could you share experiences or recommendations that are important to take into account when selecting a robot that meets with the following application:

The robot should be able to travel in XYZ axes through switches on a panel with an area of 10 "x 10" x 8.5". Once the robot is positioned on a key must be able to take measurements of pressure and force and distance required to activate the key. Worth mentioning that there are different types of keys such as button, slide and open/close Lid.

also can your recommend any brand?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes in fact is the car sunroof panel.

for reasons of cost I'm not sure which way is better...whether to buy a robot with Epson, IAI, Fanuc or I design my own system XYZ with custom servos.

IMHO, using an industrial robot , even used one in good shape, dirt cheap in those recession times, should be cost, safe and time effective if you add costs in materials, time and risk.

What about using small pneumatic cylinders with limit sensors. You could position these cylinders on a jig which corresponded to the position of the items being tested. The limit sensors and stoppers on the cylinders themselves could be adjusted to provide the proper amount of force(utilizing a load cell) and distance. Also, some form of pogo pins in a jig could test for electrical resistance/voltage, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back