Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Robotic Gripper Sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crix

Mechanical
May 14, 2002
GB
How are different sensors used with a robotic gripper? In specific, force sensors, slip sensors, proximity sensors. Details into the mechanical working of these sensors would be needed. Any web sites with such information would also be helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some systems monitor the current being drawn by the motor that drives the gripping motion. By knowing what the continuous current draw is and experimentation, you can equate the amount of increase in current to grip force.

I’m not sure if anyone makes this type of gripper, but a hollow rubber member filled with fluid driving a pressure sensor attached to a metal gripper will be similar to a finger tip.

Hi dude,
the reason use sensor on gripper :

--detected part present.
--use prox sensor.and another thing had to be sure
what type of prox_sensor to be use?
ex: ---NPN
---PNP
this is to verify on electrical wring systems.

Hi
I think not so much the understanding of the actual sensor, not ignoring sensing capabilities,dimensions of equipment ect. for the application, but the actual mechanical design of the gripper and the object being gripped, it varies from different gripper types and i would say the sensor depends on the spesific application. Sensing plastic,metal ect. A good gripper design would cater and allow for any additional sensing equipment.

The mechanical designer of the gripper and the instrument designer have to work together in the design phase. In many cases if they dont ,few mechanical designers would cater for additional instrumentation for the automated system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back