Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rolling steel strip "on edge"

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffengm

Industrial
Jan 12, 2003
US
We need to make rings from mild steel strip .090"thick X 1.75"W with a 14"i.d.. In the past, we have cut these with a plasma cutter or nibbled them on a turret punch. Volumes are increasing so we need to find a better method and eliminate the waste.
One suggestion was to roll strip on edge. If I'm doing this correctly, elongation is ~25%. Can this be done in a modified angle roll or might there be a better technique? Auger flighting techniques?

Griffy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes.
There are ways to do this in high volume.
Can you please be more specific? How many percent is allowable waste of material? Can it be welded out of strip? What is the cycle time per minute? How much money are you planning to spend? Are you planning to do this in house or you are looking for somebody to build it for you?
Thanks
hvahanyan@1ams.com

Vahanyan,
Thanks for the reply.
1.)How many percent is allowable waste of material?
>10% maximum. We have one process that creates about 2% but size limitations prevent its use on this product. The allowable stretch is at its max on this process and attempting to go larger will only create orders of magnitude increases on scrap. Scrap rates on these rings for the turret or plasma cutter exceed 70%.

2.)Can it be welded out of strip?
The concept is to roll the strip on edge and weld the ends to complete the ring. Ends may need to be trimmed before welding and this is permissible.

3.)Are you planning to do this in house or you are looking for somebody to build it for you?
Depends. At this point, the volume will not support a large investment. If it can be done on a modified angle bending roll, we would buy the machine and pay for the modifications. If it needs specialized machinery, then we may stay with present methods.

4.)There are ways to do this in high volume.
One of the techniques we have been somewhat successful in applying is adapting portions of high volume processes to our low volume products. Due to the lot sizes, we will never compete with industries like most automotive suppliers do. I asked about auger flighting because they ARE high volume in this type process but our products in no way compete with them. If someone using this technology wished to supply us with parts, I would talk with them gladly while keeping in mind that the end product is still in the concept stage.

Rolling strip on edge is a good idea and is one of the ways to go with. If you want to build this fixture in house you have to pay attention on the thickness of your ring from OD to ID. On the ID side you may get your ring thicker than .090" while the other side has a tendence to become thinner. The price of this fixture depends on ring tolerances and production rate.
I think GEKA has a press using a similar technology.

Thanks

We make tubing like this everyday. We roll flat strips or sheets and laser weld the seam. We use equipment from Weil Engineering (pronounced Vile). Check out their web site to see their machines.

What are your tolerances? timing? volume? What are the parts used for? I would be happy to show your our machines or make parts for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back