Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roof extension 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structural
Apr 10, 2009
GB
Hi
I am new in this forum and I do not know where to put this question.

I am involved in design of a new triangular aluminium canopy roof extending with an angle to 3m in height and length from an existing building with concrete walls and roof. The pik edge of roof will be supported by a diagonal with angle in vertical and horizontal directions (it is not straight in any direction).

Any idea how to design the roof, post and connection this roof to existing structure?
Any reference book or paper?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please find attached file a copy of the architects drawings.
The existing building is a concrete/brick bunker with concrete roof. It will be extended with glass cladding and aluminium roofs.

Your comments are greatful.
Apparently I can not attache more than one file. If you require more sketches then please let me know.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=923d1f7e-8e59-48c7-8981-e4e344413015&file=Sketch_1.jpg
I'm not sure where you are located, but generally aluminum structures are more susceptible to wind loading than other loads (except snow loads, of course).

For US applications, The Aluminum Association has a design manual (ADM 2000 and ADM 2005)to cover the aspects of aluminum design.

Be careful with welded connections. The allowable stresses are greatly affected by welding.

Other than differences in properties, aluminum design is similar steel design.

Looks like they have shown a raking support column, beware of the lateral component from this.

You then just need to supprt a main member from this column and run trimmers along each side.

Very simple engineering, just analyse it for wind, snow, live and dead loads then check it by the aluminium code.

There are many ways to attach your canopy.

You could run horizontal members (say with expansion bolts) to top of wall and attach to it.

You could also run a vertical member bolted to wall and attach to the top of it.

Use lots of bolts add your own safety factor to that of the mfg. and watch out for prying action.

Let us know what your final design is, it looks interesting.

We don't want the roof to fly off the Gents.

SteelyLee

do you have nay example or sketch showing how to make those connections?
Do not forget hat the roof has slope, then it needs something like hinge to enable it to move up and down.
what about horizontal movement along the wall?
This is another sketch I have.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f77be16b-82d9-4435-9818-5a3f1735e166&file=Sketch_3.jpg
My thought is to run horizontal beams across the roof, anchor these and then anchor the roof to them.

Did you see pictures of the skywalk at the Grand canyon? It is all back span.

Think along these lines.

SteelyLee

No, I have not seen it. Could you please send it to me.
What a bout the connection in top and bottom of the column supporting top of the roof??
I attache another sketch below.
My main problem is connecting the end of roof to existing structure while allowing it to move to sides, up and down because of wind load. Also a part of new side roof is connected to it according the sketches.
Any sketches to undersand it better?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0d562ae5-1563-4f84-a74b-b8f803bd9ad8&file=Sketch_4.jpg
Who selected aluminum as the structural material? I would have used steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back