Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rotate & copy a line in a Sketch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitt53

Mechanical
Jul 1, 2009
US
Hey guys, thanks in advance for the help.. In order to create a complex spline, I would like to create the cross-section in a sketch.

To keep it fairly simple, if somebody could tell me how to create a circular array of lines, to create a "spoked wheel" type sketch, that'd be great.

In other words, if I wanted a circle, with lines located at every 10 degrees from center to the perimeter - how could I avoid drawing all 36 lines? (drawing a line across the diameter to reduce this to 18 is unacceptable)

is there a rotate & copy alternative in sketch?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a great question. For your simple case, this can be accomplished outside of sketch. Insert -> Curve to draw your line and then use the Instance Geometry tool to rotate and copy that line in 10° increments around the 360 degrees. Unfortunately, the ability to instance/array objects within a sketch is not supported in NX (correct me if I am wrong).

You are correct, AT THE MOMENT there is no way to 'instance/array' the lines INSIDE the Sketcher. However, as already suggested, your best bet would be to create the circular array of 36 lines using something like Instance Geometry and then add these curves to your Sketch (remember to create the Sketch AFTER you've created the array of lines).

Now as for supporting the ability to instance/array sketch curves INSIDE the Sketch task itself, that capability will be available starting with NX 7.5 (note that I'm actually going to be testing that very functionality later today using an early development phase of NX 7.5 which I just uploaded to my laptop).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hello John,

In NX 6.0.3.6 I am able to use move object and make unassociative copies. Make sure you remove the horizontal or vertical constraint from the line you are trying to instance. Granted these lines will not have any constraints but at least they are created inside the sketch.

Suresh

hi,kitt53,

"edit->transform->rotate about a point" can be used to get what you want in pre NX6 version. IN nx 6,you can use "move object" as ufsure said.

Another workflow might be to draw 90° worth of lines (at whatever angular increment) and use the symmetry/mirror constraint in the Sketcher twice (once to achieve 180° and a second time to mirror the 180° into a full 360°).

You may have to add 2 lines for symmetry centerlines because the centerline you pick to mirror across will eventually turn to Reference and cannot be used to create surfaces or solids. If all of these lines are for Reference or some other use, then don't worry about it.

I believe this will result in you having to draw 11 lines total, possibly 12.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back