Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rotate text in sketch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogarila

Mechanical
Oct 28, 2001
CA
I know the use of text in sketch has been discussed a lot and there are even some FAQs on this issue. Still I have a question. I am trying to show a scale on a cylinder. It starts with 20. I create a plan tangent to the cylinder at the location of my "20". I create a sketch, select text feature, type 20 and the preview shows me the text rotated 270 degrees from what I want. I select the rotation tool with 270 degrees and now my text is right orientation but the 0 is on top of the 2. That's not what I want or expected. How can I do what I described above?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dogarila,

I would suggest you draw a construction line to base your text off of. Should solve most if not all of your problem because there are other features within the sketch text function to allow you to get your words facing the right way.

I agree with janman. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why the text becomes rotated, so using a sketched line (or curve) as a guide ensures the text direction is correct. I usually create a separate sketch for the guide curve to make subsequent changes easier.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Don't forget about the use of decals in your models. SW has pretty decent tools for positioning and modifying decals. This may help you avoid some of the headaches that come with futzing with text in sketches.

Thanks guys for your help. Janman, I'm giving you a star.

I have a problem with my help in SW, but I better start another thread with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back