Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rotation without sliding in a shaft 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamJ2

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2019
GB
Hello everyone,

I have a relatively simple engineering problem and any insights would be highly appreciated.

essentially, I have a 6mm shaft and a cylinder like shape rotating around it as shown in the digram and I am trying to test the ideal positioning of this cylinder. I was wondering if there are any components that would stop the cylinder from sliding up or down without preventing its rotation around the shaft? the rotation speed is fairly low at around 100rpm. Ideally, it would be something that allows adjusting the position of the cylinder at later times rather than permanently fixing it.

I feel that the answer would be embarrassingly simple but no amount of googling have helped so far.

shaft_cylinder_dgysry.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many thanks MinJulep, that's exactly what I was looking for, just couldn't get my head around the name of the component.

If you don't mind me asking, do you think a two piece shaft collar can be used as a break if I wish to slow down the speed of the shaft given that both the halves of the shaft collar are supported as shown below (rough digram). Again it's only 100rpm or so

shaft_cylinder_brake_lfi5v5.jpg

Thanks again!

Cheers byrdj, I've never used a thrust bearing before but I'll give it a shot.

Many thanks Ted, I hadn't considered the damage to the shaft. Do you recon if I add the clamp collar held in place by the support I could increase the torque of the rotating shaft as it's rotational velocity drops or am I missing something here? Alternatively I'm thinking of adding weight to the cylinder which would make it harder to rotate but I'm not sure if either approaches would increase torque from a theoretical point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back