Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RP tied to Part: How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oriol

Structural
Aug 5, 2010
SI
Hi!

I've been trying to model contact between to parts that initially they are in contact and they must continue in contact after aplying gravity load.

They are not welded but tied using clasps. I don't want to model clasps so I was thinking to keep them together with a wire (tie) using RP on boths parts.

Then contact property is defined in interactions.

Basically after applying gravity parts fall apart because, I guess, the RP are not attached to their part ... How can I solve it?

I will be really greatefull if you can help me!
Thanks
Oriol

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RP is reference point, and applies to rigid parts only.
If you're certain the parts are always in contact across the full contact surface then there's no need to use contact. Just tie the surfaces together or make as a single part with a partition for different materials, if they exist.

Tata

well, it would be a possibility but it's a bit too dificult at the point I'm now in this project.

thanks anyway. I think a possible solution will be to add a friction coeffitient in the contact property.

i guess i understood wrong the wires funtion. i thought i could keep to points from different parts tied together with this feature. Do you know if there is any way to do it?

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back