Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RS-232 Flat Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

drax

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2000
US
I have a relay with an RS-232 port that I need to connect to but there is not much room in front of the relay. Does anyone know of flat connector pigtail that I can attach and run to another PCB.

thanks,
Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We need more info... For starters a relay with an RS-232 connector DOES NOT COMPUTE.

But besides that, what is the precise description of the RS-232 connector you must connect to in this tight space? Is it a DB25 or a DB9 or something else?? Got a picture on a site we can link over to?

I have a special designed relay that has a DB9 connector that a programming pendant is plugged into occasionally but I'm making a monitoring device using that availble pendant location that has 5 VDC source but I have little room in front of the relay to connect.

Okay well here is the lowest DB9 connector I am aware of.

You crimp ribbon cable into this connector. So it is very low profile. If you try to use a plastic header as opposed to this metal one, they get VERY much taller (double or triple).

Anyway you need to look for the correct part number in Digikey. I don't know which sex your custom relay is using and have been burned several times with "plug" "socket" male/female pin/house issues before so you need to make sure which is which in your context.

Also they digiturkeys have not included this entire series of connectors in their catalog so you will need to work a little to make sure which one you are ordering.

Don't forget a piece of ribbon cable and the connector for the other end.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back