Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RS 500 major error fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

journeyman1963

Electrical
Jun 25, 2007
US
Last week we completed a Crown end press conversion and upgrade in our plant. We built and wired the complete electrical system up to NEC and UL standards. The press control panel is using a SLC 5/04 AB processor. We have done several of these type conversions in our facility with great success and each new one we do is basically a repeat of the others to the point where we can copy the program and reuse it. The problem we have run into on this last one is this: The workers for now have been powering the panel down at night and re-powering it up in the morning. Not every time, but about 50% of the time ,the processor faults during boot up. When I go online to clear the fault in the processor status tab/errors it shows a S:1/13 error with a description "module 6 which is required for the user program is detected as missing or removed" Once you clear the major error, it works fine with no apparent problems with card 6 (fast DC/sink 24vdc card). We have reseated that card and checked all connections. Everything in this electrical install is brand new. BACKPLANE?? maybe

any ideas are welcome........thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Right after I posted this an electrical engineer from another company in Ohio we use occasionally stepped into my office. He suggested the same, new backplane (chassis). He claims he has seen a few brand new units not work properly.

thanks JDE, unit is grounded. We'll try another backplane.

I have had issues with bizarre processor errors on SLCs, they all turned out to be grounding problems. Something about them makes them hyper-sensitive to intermittent ground connections (or no ground connection).

I have seen, over the last 20 years, the PLC rack can have some problems with the backplane circuit board. I have had this kind (maybe not exact) of fault, probably twice. The circuit board was "flexed" and I assumed the connections were intermitent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back