Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RS232 smart cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

cccelcj

Electrical
Sep 15, 2003
US
I have probably 10 or so communication cables. I use them to communicate with plcs and drives. I recently saw a technician work on a GE 90/30 plc and then go to an AB SLC500, then a Control Techniques QuantumIII digital dc drive all with the same cable. He said it was a kind of universal cable. Now I need a cable like this but I cannot contact him to find out where he got his. Does anyone know how I can land one of these?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Man that guy is GOOD, one cable!!!

Thats what kills me about the movie Independence Day where the Computer Guy is able to download a virus into an alien computer in 5 seconds (no mention of interfacing problems). Sometimes I spend 1/2 day getting one Allen-Bradley component trying to talk to another Allen Bradley component!LOL!

Yes, like xyzz, I believe that a full null modem cable is the answer. This is usually the setup for DCE (Data Communications Equipment) to DTE (Data Terminal Equipment)communication) which is somewhat common among PLC equipment.

I use one all the time - no messing with different cables to talk to different pieces of kit, just flick a few switches at most.
I highly recommend these guys, I've bought two from them and the both work brilliantly! (had to buy 2 cos I lost one :-()

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back