Rubber FEA

Status
Not open for further replies.

EcoMan

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2001
US
Two questions about archived thread727-53543:

1. GSC ended the thread by saying, "Setting linear or piecewise linear elastic properties with poisson ratio > 0.495 could give fairly good results at small deformations only." I would think that using a Poisson's ratio >= 0.49, even for small strains, leads to serious numerical errors ( p. 42). Has anyone besides GSC obtained reasonable FEA results for nearly incompressible materials by using a Poisson's ratio and bulk modulus (instead of Young's modulus) from small-strain linear elasticity theory?

2. Earlier in the thread (5 jun 03) jgough said, "In this case his uniaxial tension test should suffice to provide a value for C10. Theoretically it shouldn't matter what deformation mode he uses (as long as his material is isotropic, which it should be)...." Since rubber's stress-strain curve is very different for compression than tension, why shouldn't the deformation mode of the uniaxial test matter when determining constants for a hyperelastic material model?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

EcoMan;

Re. 1: I would suggest using bulk modulus and young's modulus.
Re. 2: I couldn't agree more with your question, and think that jgough was seriously oversimplifying things...

Ron

RvL04,

FEA without material nonlinearity (and anisotropy) requires a single modulus--not bulk modulus AND Young's modulus.

I didn't mean to imply that jgough was oversimplifying things. I'm just trying to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back