Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running 2 different NX licenses on same workstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

squid2115

Automotive
Oct 7, 2010
US
We have NX 5 with MFG License and bought a new seat of NX 7.5 with just a basic version license. Can I run both on same computer? I am using windows 7 ultimate. thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Running 2 versions of NX on the same computer is possible.
Running 2 versions of the license manager may be your issue.
If both versions of the license management software are Flexnet based, you should be able to, but may have to change the port address if you plan on having NX5 and NX7.5 running at the same time.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

John will know! He's got almost all of them running on the same computer.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Yes, John has UG V16 and up to NX8 on his laptop. Not sure what the OS is these days.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

While it is true that I currently have 12 versions of UG/NX (from UG V16.0 up through NX 8.0) all running on my Windows 7 laptop, and that this does require that I have two license servers running (one for the pre-NX 5.0 verions and one for NX 5.0 and newer) this is not quite the same as the question being asked by squid2115. In my case the two servers will never get confused since there is no single version of UG/NX which would ever be looking for both. Each version of UG/NX is set-up to look for one server OR the other.

That being said, I will check with experts and see if what squid2115 is looking for is possible and I will report back what I learn.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Before I ask the experts, let's get a few more details. It sounds as if you're saying that you're running an NX 5.0 'Manufacturing' bundle and as well as an NX 7.5 'Design', or MACH bundle. Is that correct?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

In anticipation of what you're going to say, your best approach, if the NX 5.0 Manufacturing bundle (I'm assuming it's a bundle) is still under maintenance, would be for you to contact your Siemens support contact and have them get for you a single consolidated NX 7.5 license covering both the new Design bundle and your existing Manufacturing bundle. Even if you choose to NOT update the NX 5.0 Manufacturing bundle, for whatever reason, you can still run that software using the same NX 7.5 license files as you were running the new Designer bundle.

As for Ben's suggestion, while it might appear that the port address might what controls this since externally that is what people see in my case where I havee both the OLD pre-NX 5.0 and NEW license server running, one using the 27000 port and the other the 28000 port, that's not actually what the critical issue is. The software is also looking for the NAME of the server, which is hardcoded and can't be changed. What this means is that only one named server can be running on the same system.

Now if it turns out that for whatever reason you CAN'T get a consolidated license, then you will need to set up one license on some other node on your network and install a copy of the server there using one of the licenses (which you've gotten from us for the MAC address of the CPU which will be used for that server). Now just point one version of NX at one server, which could be the local node, and the other to the other server, which must be on a different network connected node.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back