Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running analysis directly onto external hard drive 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruton

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2011
GB
Hello all,

I am running out of space options for analysis on my machine. Does anyone use an external hard drive to run Abaqus analysis directly from. Alternatively, does anyone encounter any problems transfering analysis from the C:/ drive to the external HD and getting corrupt files when you want to access the analysis in future.

Thanks very much in advanced for yor input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As he said..you will he performance issues ifyou have the program execuing on the harddrive. I recommend having the program on your computer and writing the simulaton files to the ext. HD. When you want to reacess a job that has been run, you must make sure that you set the work directory to re correct location where all ofyour simulations files are saved.

Thanks mechfeeney, so just to clarify, Do you mean installing and running the Abaqus software from my PC internal harddrive (C:/) and having my analysis runs directed to my external HD. Or are you suggesting that when the analysis run completes on my internal HD then transfer all the analysis files to my external HD?

Thanks again

Have ABAQUS on your computer on your C:\ drive. Change the work directory to your external HD (File--> Set Work Directory. This means that when you execute a job, from any location, it will then save the resulting .odb, .dat, etc. files into that location. Have your models on your external HD. Select the model from your external HD and open it. Run the job (verifying that the output files are being saved to the external HD). If you don't want your models and the saved data in the same location, you can always have your model on your computer and save the simulation data (only) to your external HD.

Good Luck! Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back