Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

running catia v5 with i9 12950 16 core cpu and rtx 3000 and Catia performs like a snail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiario

Automotive
Jun 12, 2023
SE
while modelling catia v5 only use 2 cores to 100% and gpu usage is around 7%.
frame rate in modelling is around 5-10 fps. Its stuttering a lot.

I know v5 is not multi core friendly and it is therefore why i see so low gpu usage because cpu cant feed gpu with enough data.

Is there anything that can be done. Anyone have and tips to improve this?
Upgrading to V6 is not oan option says my company.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if you have a Quadro then take the appropriate driver level
528.24_jciz9v.png

GForce gaming card are not supported. You have to try other nvidia driver until you find a better solution.

try to find something close to the 528.24 version approved by DS

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Well, if you put it this way, then you can't do nothing with V5 being single-threaded. Thanks for coming, bye.

But if you want to get the job done then it IS relevant since we can handle 10k parts located in a bounding box with dimensions of hundred meters on an 2020's i5. This means that if your assemblies are smaller/simpler than ours it may be a good idea to follow itsmyjob's advice and open a SR. And try loading same assemblies on a PC with different hardware.

Another approach would be to convert assemblies to CGR with CATDMUBuilder utility in case you only perform general geometry audit.

I only perform audits in catia DMU. Looking for wrong assembly and non compliance to quality requirements.
The problem is extremely low hardware utilization by catia. It should not matter how many parts. Catia should use hardware resources indepently of amount of parts. To me this looks like a catia code/program problem. Also possible a Nvidia driver problem.
I have contacted Dassault on the issue. Just posted here to see if I missed anything in the driver/setup of my machine.

V5 is bad at using multi core, yes. My cpu show 24 cores in taskmanager and only two are used by catia dmu. But why not use gpu instead then?

Well, it's because V5 had been released in 1998 and the first consumer multi-core CPU was introduced in 2005. GPUs back in those days were not even worth mentioning as valuable processing units.

During all those years DS made a lot of optimizations to make V5 work on a single core but sadly almost none of those are translatable to multi-core withour rewriting code and algorithms (which is really costly). And it makes no sense from a product standpoint because in 2009 V6 has been released, so today's 3DExperience solution is the way to go.

By the way, please leave a feedback on how that SR resolves.

yeah, my company want to stick to V5 so I am just trying to find a solution. But as you say, V5 is too old and dassault nor Nvidia wont do anything to improve v5 performance. There are hundreds of catia users in my company and they all have the same issue.

but its very annoying that the company buys 6000€ laptops believing that it will perform good on catia v5. Instead a 600€ machine would do just as good.

Exactly.

But perhaps your decrement in production due to V5 performance can be measured, extrapolated to the whole company and used to build a strong argument for migration to V6. You may want to evaluate unnecessary hardware upgrades (processor idle time) as well.

And in addition to what I suggested above you also can convert assemblies to neutral formats (STEP) and load them in something modern and even free (such as Autodesk's NavisWorks).

Not to worry - the competitors are likely avoiding this bottleneck, getting more work done in the same time, more complex work than you can manage, or paying for fewer workers to do the work at the same pace. The advantage to your company is the workers will have fewer options to look for work elsewhere if their CAD skills are on out-of-date software so the company can also pay them less.

maybe your geometry is the source of the problem... I have seen computer slow down by the number of triangle to represent.

Try this command "c:triangles count" in the bottom right of catia.

Do you have this problem with any file or only some file?
Can you try with out of the box catsettings?

What level of CATIA are you using V5 R8 or CATIA V5-6 2023?

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back