Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running in a Vacuum

Status
Not open for further replies.

I need help in understanding how If at all You Can force a Sytem to Run in a Vacuum. I am Do a very Low Temp Cap tube System and I want to beable to use the Refrigerant to its Fullest. I Don't know if All I have to Do is Make the cap tube restrict the flow So much or what? Grateful for Any Help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The purpose of the cap tube is to move the refrigerant from high pressure liquid to lower pressure liquid before sending it to the evaporator for cooling your substance. My experience with cap tubes has proven that it is some science mixed with trial and error. The cap tube diameter and length are very dependent on the system it is installed in as well as the refrigerant type and various ambients it will be operated in. At the same time, the charge of the regrigeration system affects the unit performance as well. I know this doesn't answer your question, but restricting the flow for a pressure drop is only part of the equation.

I cannot recommend that you alter a balanced, designed system. If you persist,the tools required are as follows: a licence, a torch, silversolder, a cap tube guage, guages and line taps, 5 thermometers,t/p chart, ampmeter, recovery machine, digital scale, proper supply of refrigerant, vacume pump, recovery can, leaktest equipment, and a supply of cap tubes.

Instead I would suggest you monitor evaporator temperature, and try adjusting the charge of refrigerant to obtain the lowest temperature you can get, and still cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back