Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running off BEP

Status
Not open for further replies.

impeller1

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2009
TT
Good day Folks,

If you have a pump running far off to the right of its BEP. You're head's gonna drop off and your flow should increase right? According to its performance curve. Now, does your fluid velocity increase to the extent that not enough water is being supplied to your mechanical seal flush? I have that problem here, pump running too much to the right of its BEP, we're getting 0 -2 psi discharge pressure and no water coming off the seal flush..is it because the velocity's so high? Or is there something else I'm missing? (I don't have any flow values, no flowmeter available - I'm trying to get a contractor to install an ultrasonic flowmeter to get better readings) Also, the water level seems to be enough as well.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't provide enough information to evaluate. So, allow me to speculate. If the seal flush is an API plan 11 coming from the discharge, if the seal chamber normally runs at suction pressure and if the origin of the seal flush supply is on the discharge flange or on the discharge line, then this is possible. The pump builds less pressure, and the velocity passing by the seal flush port is high enough to negate what little pressure is available.

Pinch down on the discharge flow until a higher discharge pressure develops and see if the seal flush starts flowing again.

Johnny Pellin

Yes JJPelin..its exactly as you described it. And I did do close down the valve a bit and it worked. I just wanted to confirm if that's all it was, Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back