Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rupture disc relief for PD pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova N

Chemical
Oct 11, 2018
CA
I am in the process of designing a relief device for a PD pump. I have 2 questions regarding the rupture disc as a relieving device for the PD pump.

1) Is the discharge from the Rupture disc allowed to go back into the pump suction?

2) The pump inlet and discharge piping is 1/2" diameter. I have a 1" rupture disc. Can I swage up to a 1" immediately before the rupture disc?

Thanks
Nova N

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I usually put a recloseable relief device (PSV) on a PD pump, so it doesn't have to be replaced before the pump works properly again. Some pumps can be purchased with an internal relief. It's always recloseable. Why do you want to use a RD?

Good luck,
Latexman

Engineers helping Engineers

If you want to use an RD on a PD pump, I'd recommend a burst sensor or something else tied into the controls to shutdown the pump.

1) This is typically not preferred, since it'll just short circuit thru the pump and overheat. Go back to a tank if possible.
2) I believe you need a minimum of 1" inlet piping for a 1" RD, similar to PSVs. Ask the manufacturer. You should be doing sizing calculations for the RD/piping to ensure the losses are acceptable and not just assuming a 1" RD is good.

Does your pump manufacturer not offer an internal relief option? Are you sure that your pump currently does not have an internal relief device?

In either case a RD is not a good option for reasons already discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back