Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rupture disk-can it burst from the other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob5377

Chemical
Oct 3, 2007
Hi Folks,
It may be a silly question, but there is a discussion about RD bursting. I am wondering if in case of superimposed back pressure bigger than set pressure of RD, the disc can rupture and relief into a tank.
Let me explain the situation. Rupture disk is installed on the tank and discharge pipe is hooked into vent header. RD’s set pressure is 3.45 barg. But there may be situation that in the vent header pressure may be significant bigger (ca 40 barg) during the depressurization of other equipment hooked up to the same vent header. The question is if in this case the disk may rupture?
Thanks
Robert

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In general, yes, the disk may rupture. Different types of RDs (reverse buckling, conventional, graphite) have different tolerances to back pressure. Reverse buckling RDs are more forgiving, but they have their limits too.

Good luck,
Latexman

Latexman is correct: it depends on the disk type. I would also add that there are "fail-safe" designs that actually will burst at lower that the specified burst pressure with "backward" flow. This type is used if you're worried about someone installing it backwards.

See if you can get hold of the Mad Dog Gas Release HIPO
(28 Feb 2007) report. This will show you bursting discs can fail in reverse. This particular incident had almost catastrophic consequences.

Rob5377, the only silly question is the one that is not asked.

I agree with everybody.

The only thing I would like to ask is, did you say
¿¿40 bar??

Rgds
Daniel

To avoid the rupture, you should ask for discs with backpressure support and specify the operating conditions, including backpressure.

edanyel sorry to be so late. That's the thing that bothers me as well. RD's discharge pipe is hooked via the tee into main header very close to the blowdown valves. No RO's is installed on the blowdown pipe. Before depressurization the pressure in the equipment is ca 50 barg. I assumed that in the vent pipe pressure may reach significant value (I am not sure if 40 barg this is my feeling)

regards
Rob

Rob, What I mean is that I would think of discharging my RD into another place.
Just don´t think about if it breaks from the back.
You must see the situation as if you were establishing a potential overpressure scenario because of the header pressure in the discharge side of the disc.
Do you see my point?
You always design a relief device imaging the worst scenario, in this case, discharging to a high pressure header, you are adding a potential cause of over pressure.
Rgds
Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back