Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rupture Disk Reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.

invent11

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2007
CA
I am looking for reliability # for RDs. The one i am interested has a size of 10", and set pressure of 11 psig installed on a pipe that is filled w water. Furthermore I appreciate if you can provide a reference that lists the such reliability #s for different sizes/set pressures. For my application i need a reliable pressure device that would not fail below its set pressure.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Reliability" means different things to different people. What specific property are you asking for?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

What you need to look at is set pressure of the rupture disk and Maximum Operating pressure of the Rupture Disk. That is where you are going to have problem.
Differnt RD styles have different tollerances between the Set, or Burst pressure and the Maximum operating pressure. Some require the MOP to be less than 70% of Burst others you can go as high as 90%. But such a large disk and a low pressure I think you are going to be in trouble.

Regards
Stonecold

There are publications available which identify Probability of Failure on Demand (PFD) for safety devices such as relief valves. Based on the simplicity of rupture discs compared to the rather complex construction of safety relief valves where often up to several dozens of individual parts need to flawlessly interact to assure operation then rupture discs are often considered to have higher reliability then safety valve. This is often expressed in SIL (safety Integrity Level) with safety valves classified at SIL 1 and rupture discs at SIL 2.

Hope this helps

Regards

Roger B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back