Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rust on Rebar - How much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pricklyPete

Structural
May 14, 2004
US
As the engineer on a project, I have been asked to inspect some rebar that has been sitting outside for over a year while the project was temporarily on hold. Naturally, the rebar has rust on it in many locations. It is visually evident that there has been no loss of material (which could be addressed by ASTM 615 if that where the concern). The question that I have is if the bond will be affected. Light rust is acceptable, but this term is a subjective. At worst, a very small flake can be peeled off with a fingernail. Does any one have any resources on this topic?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is from a publication found at "Research has shown that the sorting and normal handling and placing of bars removes the loose scale and the remaining rust and bonded scale is not detrimental to the bar bond."

If the rebar is already tied in place I would think about high pressure washing, or otherwise see what it looks like after it has been placed.

A lot of it depends on you authority on the project.
Try this, ask the contractor what are we going to do about the build up of rust on the bars. As defined, light scale rust is acceptable. However, you have stored this material outside for much longer than is typically accepted. - This puts it on the contractor, I have experienced that often they have no problem sand blasting or pressure washing the bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back